Sunday, January 24, 2010

Training lessons learned

I think I am half dead after this week but I have learned a little. I think what makes this process so appealing to me is the knowledge you gain about yourself and people around you through it.
I made it through, the feet are up and these are a few things I observed:
1 If you ride a lot it makes you tougher
2 riding a lot makes you a better runner
3 training long makes you smarter
4 I heart IM training
How do I get tougher?
What is another ride when you ride 6 days in a row? Does it ever get boring? Maybe. Does your butt ever hurt? Always. But it is how you take it in stride and just do it that makes you tougher. What doesn't kill you makes you stonger. Right? Make it count and then you draw from it later. You develop a thick skin for things like 5 hr ride.
How does riding a lot make me a better runner?
The runs you do perform have to be quality not junk miles so make every second count. Riding enables your turnover to be quicker, makes me think about each step I take and makes me a more efficient runner. Think more bang for your buck.
Training makes you smarter?
You have to be more time savvy and smarter with all the decisions you make. Maybe you are not going to go down the wet road really fast or maybe you are going to think about what you will eat for the week but whatever you do, you are using your brain to plan accordingly, and that my friends takes brains.
Why do I do it?
I love it therefore I do it. I wake up each and every day hungry for it and appreciative of the fact that I can get up and do it, what I want whenever I want. I don't have to do it. It is certainly not my job but it is certainly my passion.
And with that my friends I leave you to find yours...

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment